Skip to main content
#
Lacrosse Volunteer Fire Department

Mecklenburg Fire Companys

Company 1 Boydton
Company 2 Buckhorn
Company 3 Chase City
Company 4 Clarksville
Company 5 Lacrosse
Company 6 Palmer Springs
Company 7 South Hill
Company 8 Lake Gaston
Company 9 Brodnax

 

 HISTORY OF THE LACROSSE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT 

THE LACROSSE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT WAS ORGANIZED IN 1939 AFTER THE TOWN INSTALLED A PUBLIC WATER SYSTEM. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT WAS ORGANIZED TO FURNISH MUCH NEEDED FIRE PROTECTION FOR THE TOWN AND SURRONDING COMMUNITY. AMONG SOME OF THE FIRST MEMBERS OF THE DEPARTMENT WERE G.E. ADAMS, THE FIRST CHIEF, E.B. MOSELEY, H.H. MATHEWS, R.D. COOK, E.D. NASH, C.D. JONES, WOODROW EVANS, CLYDE JONES, THOMAS CLARY AND J. NEWTON RAINES, WHO TRANSFERRED FROM THE SOUTH HILL FIRE DEPARTMENT AFTER LACROSSE ORANIZED. NEWTON RAINES WAS THE LAST CHARTER MEMBER WE HAD, NEWTON PASSED AWAY IN 2000. 

THE FIRST TRUCK THE DEPARTMENT HAD WAS A 1939 CHEVROLET, PURCHASED FROM SOUTH HILL FOR $75.00. THIS WAS ONLY A HOSE CARRIER WITH 500FT OF 2 ½ “ HOSE AND A NOZZLE. THIS TRUCK WAS ONLY GOOD FOR IN TOWN FIRES BECAUSE IT HAD NO TANK OR PUMP. YOU HAD TO DROP THE NOZZLE AT THE FIRE AND HOPE YOU HAD ENOUGH TO GET TO THE HYDRANT. THE FIRST BUILDING FOR THE TRUCK WAS BUILT IN 1941 OUT OF SHEET METAL. THE LAND FOR THIS BUILDING WAS PURCHASED FOR $300.00. THIS BUILDING ALSO SERVED AS THE TOWN SHOP. CHARTER MEMBER E.B. MOSELEY SAID MANY TIMES THAT THE DEPARTMENT WOULD NOT LET HIM DRIVE THE TRUCK CAUSE HE WAS TOO YOUNG, BUT THEY WOULD LET HIM PUSH THE TRUCK WHEN IT WOULD NOT CRANK. 

THE FIRST FIRE CALL WAS AT THE RESIDENCE OF MR. MARVIN MOSELEY. THIS HOUSE IS NOW OWN BY MR. AND MRS. BOB WOOLEY AND STILL HAS SOME CHARRED RAFTERS IN THE ATTIC. THE DEPARTMENT DID A GREAT JOB ON THERE FIRST CALL. 

ON JUNE 1, 1950 A NEW PUMPER WAS PURCHASED. THIS TRUCK WAS BOUGHT FROM THE OLD SOUTH HILL MOTOR COMPANY, A 1950 FORD FOR $1527.50, AND IT WAS SENT TO CHARLOTTE NC, TO BE OUTFITTED WITH A TANK, BODY AND A PUMP FOR A COST OF $3,704.45. WE STILL HAVE THIS AND MONEY CANNOT BUY IT. IN 1958, THE DEPARTMENT BOUGHT A USED 1952 CHEVROLET WITH A ROUND TANK ON IT WHICH ALSO HAD A HOLE IN IT. THE MEMBERS OF THE DEPARTMENT TURNED THE TANK OVER, CUT THE HOLE OUT, AND WELDED A FLAT PLATE ON IT TO MAKE A HOSE BED. THE DEPARTMENT ALSO A BODY AROUND THE TANK AND INSTALLED A 500GPM FRONT MOUNT PUMP THAT HAD TO BE WELED UP CAUSE IT HAD FROZE UP ON THE 1950 TRUCK IN 1952 DUE TO NO HEAT IN THE FIRE STATION. WE USED THIS TRUCK UNTIL 1965 WHEN WE BOUGHT A NEW 1965 GMC TRUCK FOR $3000.00 AND TRANSFERRED THE TANK AND PUMP OFF OF THE 1952 TRUCK. THE LAST WE KNOW OF THIS TRUCK WAS LOCATED IN SOUTH PORT, NC. WE HOPE HURRICANE HUGO DIDN’T DESTROY IT. OUR FIRST PANEL TRUCK WAS A 1952 CHEVROLET BOUGHT FROM THE STATE IN 1963. THIS TRUCK WAS REPLACED BY A 9 PASSENGER CARRY ALL IN 1969. 

THE PRESENT FIRE STATION WAS BUILT IN 1950 WITH ONE TRUCK BAY AND THE TOWN OFFICE. IN 1976 THE TOWN OFFICE MOVED TO MAIN ST... IN 1958, A SECOND TRUCK BAY WAS BUILT. IN THE LATER 60’S, TWO MORE TRUCK BAYS WERE BUILT. IN THE LATER 70’S, A MEETING ROOM AND KITCHEN WAS BUILT. A FEW YEARS LATER ONE MORE TRUCK BAY WAS BUILT. THIS TOOK UP ALL THE LAND THE DEPARTMENT HAD. SINCE 1958, THE DEPARTMENT HAS PAID FOR ALL OF THE ADDITIONS TO THE FIRE STATION.  

THE DEPARTMENT HAS COME A LONG WAY SINCE 1939 AND HAS ANSWERED MANY FIRE CALLS SINCE MR. MOSELEY’S HOUSE, BUT PROBABLY THE LARGEST FIRE WAS THE LACROSSE HIGH SCHOOL IN 1942. THE FIRST ALARM SYSTEM WAS BY TELEPHONE AND BY WORD OF MOUTH WHEN PEOPLE CAME TO TOWN AND TRIED TO FIND A FIREMAN TO BRING A TRUCK TO A CALL. 

LATER A SIREN WAS PLACED AT THE OLD LACROSSE MANUFACTURING COMPANY BECAUSE IT WAS SOMEONE THERE 24 HOURS A DAY. A NEW SIREN WAS PLACED AT THE STATION AROUND 1965. THIS COULD BE SET OFF BY RADIO TONE FROM THE SOUTH HILL POLICE DEPARTMENT, A SERVICE THAT THE TOWN OF SOUTH HILL AND THE SOUTH HILL POLICE DEPARTMENT PROVIDED FOR US UNTIL 1996 FOR WHICH WE ARE GRATEFUL. IN 1996, ALL MECKLENBURG COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENTS WENT TO THE NEW E-911 SYSTEM OF DISPATCHING WITH ALL NEW TRUCK NUMBERS, PERSONNEL NUMBERS, ONE COUNTY WIDE FIRE FREQUENCY AND CENTRAL DISPATCH LOCATION. 

IN 1974, THE DEPARTMENT AND THE TOWN WENT 50/50 ON THE PURCHASE OF A NEW 750 GPM PUMPER AT A COST OF $19,400.00. 

IN 1979, THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED A NEW 4X4 CHEVROLET BRUSH TRUCK AT AN APPROXIMATE COST OF $16,000.00. 

IN 1983, THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED A NEW TANKER WITH A JET DUMP SYSTEM AND A DROP TANK AT A COST OF $48,000.00. THE OLD TANKER WAS SOLD IN 1989. 

IN 1986, THE DEPARTMENT DEDICATED THE FIREFIGHTER OF THE YEAR AWARD IN MEMORY OF ASSISTANCE CHIEF HARVEY LUCIUS CLARK TO BE GIVEN ANNUALLY. 

IN 1991, THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED A NEW 1250 GPM PUMPER TO HELP IMPROVE FIRE PROTECTION BECAUSE THE 1950 PUMPER WAS OUTDATED, BUT IT STILL PUMPED GOOD. THE NEW PUMPER CARRIES A 4” SUPPLY HOSE WHICH WAS A FIRST FOR OUR DEPARTMENT. THIS TRUCK COST APPROXIMATELY $140,000.00 PLUS EQUIPMENT. 

IN 1994, THE LIFE MEMBERSHIP AWARD WAS DEDICATED IN THE MEMORY OF JAMES E. TURNER WHO SERVED OUR DEPARTMENT FOR 42 YEARS OF WHICH 28 YEARS AS FIRE CHIEF. THIS AWARD IS CONSISERED THE HIGHEST HONOR TO BE RECEIVED IN THE DEPARTMENT. AT THIS PRESENT TIME OUR DEPARTMENT HAS 23 LIFE MEMBERS, JAMES D. ADAMS, DAVID R. GLASSCOCK, CLYDE T. BAIRD JR., CHARLES T. LEGGE, A.G. WATSON, WARREN L. POOLE, NATHAN L. PARRISH, DAVID K. PENDERGRASS, L.S. CLARK, MICHAEL T. CLARK, JEFFREY G. THOMAS, ROBERT “SCOOTER” EZELL, R.D. SADLER, T.E. EZELL, WESLEY R. SMITH, L.R. RASH III, HARVEY L. CLARK, BRENT EZELL, GWYN ELLIS, JOSHUA T. SMITH, TONY HAYES, RASTER HATLEY AND MICHAEL W. TURNER. 

IN 2001, THE DEPARTMENT REFURBISHED THE 1979 BRUSH TRUCK BY EQUIPPING IT WITH A COMPARTMENT STYLE BODY AND A NEW SKID UNIT. 

IN 2002, THE DEPARTMENT UPGRADED AIR PACKS WITH 25 NEW SCOTT AIR PACKS AND REPLACED 1500 ft. OF 4” LDH SUPPLY HOSE WITH 3,000 ft. OF 5” LDH SUPPLY HOSE. 

IN 2003, THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED 30 SETS OF NEW TURN-OUT GEAR, BULLARD THERMAL IMAGING CAMERA AND A SUPPORT TRUCK. 

ALSO IN 2003 THE DEPARTMENT DEDICATED THE BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY AWARD IN THE MEMORY OF GWEN L. ELLIS WHO LOST HIS LIFE IN THE LINE OF DUTY. 

IN JUNE OF 2004 THE DEPARTMENT PLACED AN ORDER FOR 2 NEW PUMPER/TANKERS. THE NEW TRUCKS WOULD UPGRADE OUR FIRST DUE ENGINE AND REPLACE THE 1983 TANKER. 

IN DECEMBER OF 2004 THE DEPARTMENT DEDICATED THE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AWARD IN HONOR OF JAMES D. ADAMS FOR HIS YEARS OF SERVICE. 

ON CHRISTMAS DAY 2004 OUR DEPARTMENT, ALONG WITH 6 OTHER DEPARTMENTS RESPONDED TO THE REHOBOTH METHODIST CHURCH, THIS FIRE WAS CONSIDERED BY MANY AS THE WORST CHURCH FIRE IN COUNTY HISTORY. 

IN JANUARY 2005 BOTH NEW TRUCKS WERE PLACED IN SERVICE, A 1500 GPM CAFS PUMPER/TANKER AND A 750 GPM PUMPER/TANKER. THE CHIEFS VEHICLE WAS ALSO REPLACED AT THIS TIME. 

IN 2006 WITH THE HELP OF THE CITIZENS AND FAMILY MEMBERS OF PAST MEMBERS WE WERE ABLE TO REFURBISH THE DEPARTMENTS 1950 PUMPER. THIS TRUCK WAS THE FIRST NEW FIRE TRUCK THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED. ALTHOUGH THIS TRUCK DOESN’T ANSWER CALLS IT WILL ALWAYS HAVE A HOME IN LACROSSE. 

ALSO IN 2006 LACROSSE HOSTED THE 51ST ANNUAL SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIA VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER CONVENTION. 

IN APRIL OF 2009 THE TOWN PURCHASED A 1990 PIERCE ARROW XT 50’ TELESQUIRT LADDER TRUCK FROM THE COUNTY OF HENRICO FOR $3,000.00 AND IT’S STILL IN SERVICE TODAY. 

IN 2010 THE DEPARTMENT CONSTRUCTED A 2-BAY BUILDING ACROSS FROM THE PRESENT STATION TO ACCOMENDATE TWO TRUCKS DUE TO OUT GROWING OUR OLD STATION. 

IN JAN. 2011 ENGINE 54 WAS TOTAL LOSSED IN A WRECK WHILE RESPONDING TO A REPORTED STRUCTURE FIRE. IT WAS REPLACED WITH A 2012 KENWORTH TANKER WITH A 1000GPM PUMP AND 2000 GALLONS OF WATER. 

IN 2011 THE DEPARTMENT DEDICATED THE OFFICER OF THE YEAR AWARD IN THE MEMORY OF DAVID R. GLASSCOCK WHO SERVED OUR DEPARTMENT FOR 50 YEARS. ALSO IN 2011, THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED ITS SECOND THERMAL IMAGING CAMERA TO BE PUT ON ENGINE 53 OUR FIRST RUN ENGINE, AND THE SECOND CAMERA WAS PLACED ON ENGINE 51 OUR SECOND ENGINE. 

IN 2012 THE DEPARTMENT PURCHASED 19 NEW SETS OF GLOBE TURN-OUT GEAR TO REPLACE AGING SETS TO KEEP UP WITH SAFETY STANDARDS. 

IN 2013 THE DEPARTMENT PLACED OUR AGING 1979 BRUSH TRUCK WITH A 2013 FORD F-350 BRUSH TRUCK. ALSO PURCHASED IN 2013 WAS NEW HURST E-HYDRAULIC BATTERY OPERATED EXTRICATION TOOLS, 6 MORE NEW SETS OF GLOBE TURN-OUT GEAR, AND A CASCADE SYSTEM TO FILL AIR BOTTLES. 

IN 2014 THE DEPARTMENT REPLACED ITS 1997 CHIEFS VEHICLE WITH A NEW 2015 FORD F-250 QRV/COMMAND VEHICLE.

    Lacrosse Volunteer Fire Department
    202 Carolina Street
    Lacrosse, VA 23950